I haven't posted for a while and no one's going to read this... But I'm annoyed.
I felt super guilty when OWS was urging everyone to move their money out of big banks like Bank of America and Chase and into credit unions and the like. And I didn't do a damn thing. I still had an account at the Vermont Federal Credit Union that I wasn't using because we were in NYC, and the Chase ATM situation was just sooooo convenient in New York.
So, we moved back to Vermont and I figured the time had come to move my money back to the Vermont Federal CU. There are about 2 Chase ATMs in the whole state and none of them were conveniently located so it just didn't make sense.
So, about a month ago, I called up to cancel my account. Spent the requisite amount of time on hold, talking to automated voices, and so on. But after about half an hour I was assured that I would be sent a check in a week's time. Week or two went by and nothing happened, though I was preoccupied with other things like finding a place to live and organizing my trip to Geneva for a few weeks. So, I was surprised when I heard that my check had never shown up.
I called them last night and couldn't get through because I didn't have my account or debit card number. Like an idiot, apparently, I had cut up my debit card the day I called because I didn't want to use it anymore and have issues of jeopardizing the account closure or bouncing payments. Plus I'm still in Geneva so I didn't have access to any of my papers.
Managed to get Brian to tell me my account number from a statement they sent me (in lieu of check?) and called them today. Apparently the check was sent but was sent to the wrong address...and the account was still open... bla bla bla. Hopefully THIS TIME I will actually be sent my money.
No banks like it when you close an account, but this is getting ridiculous. My enormous distrust of financial institutions is only growing, and I am going to have to try really hard to not become a person hoarding my cash under the mattress.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment